Copyright © The Wandering Quill
Design by Dzignine
May 6, 2012

Minds are Like Parachutes

Anonymous:  ''Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.'' 

The Wandering Quill *scratches the paper*: "Minds are like wings too, we only Fly when they soar."

-oO0Oo-

Li'az peered over the edge of her balloon, a surge of vertigo welling up in her...

And then she fell. Free falling, her center of gravity rolling all over her insides as she tumbled through the clouds...The wind was a beast, it was roaring into her ears, so loud ...

It has been a while since I wrote, I'm three quarters done with Book I and half-way through it's revision. Well, it's in need of a huge revision because I've been experiencing  a switch of world view ever since I entered college. Perhaps this is the ultimate price I have to pay for Knowledge - because the world I've created is more than half as complicated as this one, yet this world I'm living in is less than half as action packed and magickal as the one I'm creating. 

The Price of Knowledge - as I often call - means my world, including the worlds I've created will no longer be the same again.  

For as a writer, I don't think I'll ever be the same again. It's not a sad thing, really, because I've finally found something that I believed I didn't have so many years ago when I started thinking about writing- a perspective on the workings of a real world, a world with people who don't just sit on rainbows and chew on cotton candies. 

How in the world did George Orwell imagined Animal Farm? What about the discrimination the Muggles and Muggle-born folks faced in the world of J.K. Rowling? Why about the history of Hunger Games? 
It's not hard to imagine why, because this is how our world works too - but it doesn't mean it's not wrong. Are there instances when you are not happy? If you are not happy, does that mean something is wrong? 

If I keep searching for happiness, does that mean I'm individualistic and self-absorbed? But what if Individualism is a term painted by the Reductionists - by condemning individuals for all the sins in the world,  "It is the individuals that are greedy, it is the individuals who lack self-control, it is the individuals who are lazy - that is why they have no right to protest about their state of poverty.", by blaming individuals, and self-absorbing the blame - are we ignoring the wrong things that lie in the workings of our world?

Well, this is nothing against anyone. I'm just trying to say if you are looking for something that you can't find in yourself, while trying to work on a novel, look around you for inspirations.

Writers do not add in these imperfections for fun - yes, these imperfections serve as fuel for plots to run smoothly with twists, but writers certainly do not write to drag their readers in and leave them stranded in the cruel twists. Writers write best when they incorporate their lives in what they write, and certainly they (some or most?) hope that despite all the cruel twists, there's still a hope for readers to invest in. 


You can imagine a world full of rainbows and cotton candies.
But these are boring (depends on your audience :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment